What is a kennel prefix?
A kennel prefix is the name that we'll associate with your breeder membership as your kennel name. That name is sometimes used as a business name, for advertising, social media, websites, email addresses, stationary, etc. We need a kennel prefix for you so that we can put that prefix on all of the pedigrees that we produce for your puppies.
A kennel prefix also becomes the start of the registered pedigree name for every dog that you breed. As you may know, a dog's name can never be changed once it is registered with a name on a pedigree. That means that for the rest of the dog's life (and for as long as it's descendants may live), anyone who sees those pedigree will know which kennel the dog came from and that you bred the dog.
Say, for instance that your prefix name was "Prefix" and you registered a puppy who's first name was Milo, he would be displayed as "Prefix Milo" on your pedigree and in our database.
Applying for a MDBA Kennel Prefix
To apply for a MDBA kennel prefix all Applicants must:
- Be over 18 years of age,
- Be a current BREEDER member of the MDBA
- Pay the appropriate MDBA fee.
In applying for a MDBA kennel prefix, if the kennel prefix is approved, the applicant(s) understand that the kennel prefix:
- Will be permanently registered with the MDBA regardless of whether the owner(s) remain a breeder member.
- Must become a permanent prefix to any dog bred by the owner(s) of the kennel name.
- Must be updated at time of membership renewal to keep it on the active kennel list and that this list includes only those kennels that are current breeder members of the MDBA in good standing, who complete an annual kennel activation form. A small tri annual administrative fee will be applicable.
Our guidelines for kennel prefixes:
- Upon applying, you acknowledge that the prefix and will be registered to ALL owners of the kennel prefix on the MDBA stud registry.
- A kennel prefix must be at least 5 letters, and must NOT be more than 18 letters including Spaces
- A kennel prefix must consist of letters only. No symbols brackets or apostrophes etc
- As of 30th June 2014. No prefix will be approved which has a name incorporating that of an established breed (Such as Bulldog, Labrador etc.), a breed in development or an F1 cross breed . (Such as oodle, doodle etc.)