Whelping and Rearing Puppies Purchase this course
This course is designed to cover all areas from the time whelping starts to when the pups are ready to go to their new homes. It would be beneficial for breeders, rescue workers or anyone who is involved in any activity which entails the whelping or rearing of puppies.
By completion the student will understand and be knowledgeable in, Whelping supply requirements and kits, whelping management, record keeping, how to Help a bitch with labour and delivery, Problems with whelping, Medical management of complications, Common problems faced by the breeder, Maximising neo natal survival, CPR in new borns, Mother care, Canine pediatrics, weaning the pups, Worming schedule, Vaccinations, placement of pups, contracts, guarantees, computer software.
Qualification on completion – MDBA Certificate of Achievement.
Students must have basic English literacy and numeracy skills.
Open entry. Previous schooling and academic achievements are not required for entry into this course.
Students will need access to a computer and the internet.
Fees - $300 – Member Discount applies - Email for discount codes
List of individual units with brief description
- Whelping environment
- Building a whelping box
- Whelping supplies and kits
- Whelping management
- Record keeping
- New puppies on the way
- temperature changes
- Highlights of whelping
- A guide to whelping
- Helping your bitch with labour and delivery
- Problems with whelping
- Telltale signs of a difficult labour
- C Section surgery
- Post-operative care of the bitch and the puppies
- Helping your bitch with labour and delivery when things go wrong
- Medical management of complications
- Common problems faced by the breeder
- Maximising neo natal survival
- CPR in new borns
- Intensive care in newborns
- Urineogenital injuries
- Abnormalities of female reproduction
- Vaginal prolapse
- Uterine inertia
- Retained placenta
- Mother care
- Canine pediatrics
- Fading puppy syndrome
- Orphans and how to raise them
- Puppy milk replacers and recipes
- Tube feeding
- Hypo glycaemia
- Save a puppy’s life
- Premature pups and their care
- Swimmer pups.
- What to watch for as the pups grow
- Early stimulation
- Social stimulation
- Temperament testing
- Congenital problems
- Weaning the pups
- Worming schedule
- Placement of pups,
- Vet checks
- Legal obligations
- Insurance issues
- Follow up contact
- Computer software.